Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Ikea Furniture...Not To Shabby

I ended up spending $630 at Ikea. That bought the dresser, desk, chair, bed, nightstand, wall shelves, lamp and alarm clock. Sure, I had visions of a darling pirate-themed room from Pottery Barn. Then I realized that I got everything for his room for the same price the bed would have cost there. I also realized that I am dealing with a nine year-old boy. He's not interested in "baby rooms." (That's what he said when I showed him the pirate room.)
Above his dresser is his Taekwondo belt rack. When I bought this desk, I thought, "This desk will be great for him to do homework and projects." It is a Lego worktable. The rubbermaid bins next to the desk house his lego collection. I got the architects desk lamp on clearance at Office Depot. One of his favorite things is his bulletin board.
I love how simple the bed is--easy to make too. He likes having a lamp by the bed. I went in after I had put the room together and he had gotten out of his box his picture of Jesus. It is a picture his Primary teacher gave him a few years ago--he loves it. His lego ships go on the shelves.


He really likes his karate sheets.

Overall, I think he likes his room. It is definitely a big-boy room, and hopefully one that will work for him for a long time.

Now, on to Beverly's room.

6 comments:

Millertime said...

Everything looks awesome in the room! My favorite is the nightstand with his Jesus picture! What a sweetie!

Julie Jones said...

He is growing up just a little too fast for me. I would have thought that he would have loved a pirate room!

Unknown said...

Andrew is a mighty lucky boy to have such a great room with all new furniture.
Loved how he wanted the Jesus picture on the nightstand.
He is a super young one!!
Luv ya!!

Unknown said...

The room turned out fantastic and I'm sure Andrew is happy to be off the floor. I've never had IKEA furniture but I was just at a friends house and she had a bunch of IKEA stuff and it looked great.

Camille said...

Well done. (I thought I would leave it at that, but it totally sounded like Mike) You did a good job, now for the IKEA endorsement checks...how much did they pay you for the advertising:)

CJ said...

It's hard to realize how grown up he is until you talk to him for a few minutes. The room turned out great.