Sunday, October 12, 2008

Don't Wait

I'm giving a talk in church today on procrastination. This is one of my favorite poems:


Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,
Hang out the washing, make up the bed,
Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,
Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due
Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo
Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?
Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

Ruth Hulbert Hamilton

5 comments:

Millertime said...

I love this poem. Thanks for sharing!

Camille said...

I love it, it's going on my fridge. Doesn't it remind you of grandma B and mom always telling us the same.

CJ said...

I'm sure your talk went beautifully. The poem is one of my favorites too as we all know how fast time goes by and we don't remember the chores, but we remember doing things together.

Unknown said...

Love the poem and know your talk was just as good.
Luv ya!!

Mike said...

Alisa gave such a good talk that she was able to spare the congregation and they only had to listen to 5 minutes from me!! She always puts everything she has into all that she does. She takes a lot of pride in her work.