Saturday, October 18, 2008

Dirty, Happy Kids

This is the view from our front porch, looking north--a big field. This field is the reason Mike picked our lot. I really didn't have a preference (although I thought we would have neighbors.) He wanted our kids to have a field to play in--to discover and get dirty and have adventures. He wanted them to have a field like we both had when we were kids.
I have to watch them for a few minutes, then I can go inside. Living where we used to, the kids didn't go in the front yard without supervision. Now, I can let them roam free. Well, that's not really true. I let them roam free and I watch them out the window.
Christian, who just recently started riding without training wheels, loves it out there. He fell off his bike right off the bat today. I went running over to him and Bev says, "Don't worry Mom. He's tough. He falls all the time out here." His poor little shins carry the evidence of his toughness.
They get dirty, and I clean them up. I remember when Andrew was one. We were putting in our yard and I went out and found him sitting in the dirt. His face was filthy and he had dirt everywhere. I freaked out. Mike just letting him sit there in the dirt. I scooped him up and scrubbed that little baby clean. Four kids and eight years later, let's just say that I have adapted. I still like them clean, but I get it now. I want them to get dirty. That means that they are living, exploring, learning, enjoying life.
This is the view from the craft room. I can sit at the computer and watch them. Enjoy it out there kids. I'm just going to go get your bath ready.

2 comments:

CJ said...

The field tradition lives on. Every kid should have one to play in, get dirty in and hide in -- oh, and even find a monkey in.

Smilin' sunshine said...

How fun!
I have issues that I am still working on with dirt. Just more to clean up.

I still think we need more pictures of your new house! It looks beautiful.