Wednesday, April 7, 2010

this one goes out to the one I love...

(and yes, I am singing REM in my head right now...I love that song.)

I overheard a sweet conversation tonight. I grabbed the camera to capture the moment.

After dinner Andrew was reading. Bev was doing times tables while I did the dishes. Christian asked Dad to do Legos. (Notice the cookie sheet--between Christian and Andrew I will often have to go find one of my six to use for actual cooking. They make good portable Lego desks.)

So, they were over there working on Legos when Christian says, "I'm glad dads were invented."

And Mike says, "I'm glad they were invented too."

Then, as they were finishing up Christian says, "I'm glad I have you."

And Mike says, "I'm glad I have you too."

I would like to add my Amen to Christian's statements tonight.

I am so glad my kids have Mike. I am so glad he is there to do Legos and coach soccer and listen to them read and put air in their bike tires and let them sneak treats when I won't and cook Sunday morning breakfast with them and teach them how to fish and take them to McDonald's when I won't and do homework with them and teach them how to work and to pray and take them on dates and make them a priority and let them sneak in bed with us and wrestle with them and tease them and love them.

I am glad that he is there to remind me of important things and help me keep perspective and remind me not to swear.

I am glad that he gets up and goes to work everyday to support us.

I am glad that he is ours.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this post! Now I have that song stuck in my head. :)

Unknown said...

You're so right - aren't dad's great!? My only problem with the whole situation is that Erik comes home after my days of hassle/yelling/discipline/disorder and the kids are so SICK OF ME that daddy becomes the BEST person in their world - playful, loud, relaxed... (which is totally fine, except I'm the one left feeling unappreciated and exhausted from dealing with them all day!) Someday, I tell myself, SOMEDAY they will know and appreciate all we moms do for them!!

Andrea said...

Okay, so I didn't realize that Erik was logged in on our computer - that comment was really me! Sorry!

Unknown said...

We're glad you have Mike too. He is a super father and man. We are thankful as grandparents to have him in our family. He does so many nice things for us. We love you all!!

CJ said...

That was one of the sweetest posts ever. Of course I am a little prejudiced, but I kind of like him too. Seeing him interact with the you and the kids is the best reward a mom could ever have.