Monday, April 19, 2010

the ninety-percenters club

I hung out with some of my besties this weekend and we got to talking about projects. Why is it, we asked, that the first 90% of our projects get done fairly quickly, but the last 10% is the hardest?

I don't know the answer. I just know that it is a recurring theme in my life and affects so many areas of my life--it always has. Papers and projects in college, home improvement projects, decorating projects, cleaning projects.

Right now our garden is about 90% planted. My craft room is about 90% done. Laundry was about 90% done--then the kids put their laundry down the chute. Now it is about 75% complete.
I know I will not ever have laundry completely done--because we must get dressed in clean clothes every day. But, I am trying to incorporate the rule that I must finish one thing before starting the next. I am making progress, but it's still a challenge.

I started this birthday banner in August--for Andrew's birthday. It is on my list to complete for Bev's birthday this weekend. I finished it and Bev helped me tie it together with ribbon.

Part of my problem is that I may just be a bit of a perfectionist/over-achiever with the projects. I figure if I am going to spend the time and money on something, I want it done right. After I put it up Mike pointed out that no one would really care that I sewed the paper or made the embellishments by hand. No, but I care. I did it for me--you know, to be creative.

Bev decided to be creative herself. She made Tiger a little necklace with the leftover ribbon. Tiger lets her put it on and she even leaves it on.

Next project--clean that window so poor baby Tiger can see out it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You do so many great projects all the time and the sign is a super one. Beverly is always a good helper and very original.
You will probably catch up with all the wash when the kids are gone and then you will wish for them back wash and all (at least some times)

CJ said...

I think it also has something to do with the fact the just as you are about to finish the last 10 percent, someone or something interrupts with a "has to be done right now" project making it difficult to get back on track. Love the banner. Loved how you slipped in the picture of Tiger.

Brittany said...

I took me a couple of times to watch the video before I understood what he was saying, but, CUTE. Although I am sorry about your finger. The banner looks so good! Good work you 100%' er you!

Julie Jones said...

That banner is so, so cute, and again, "poor Tiger".

Unknown said...

The banner is beautiful and I appreciate how much time and effort it really takes. Great job. Love the ribbon on Tiger.