Tuesday, April 20, 2010

crisis averted and project complete


Andrew was assigned a report for school. It was on an animal found in Utah--the beaver.

A few nights ago, he decided to get a head start on the project (aka: not leaving it until the night before it is due.) We were just finishing up dinner and he asked if he could go do research on the computer. I said, "Yeah, sure--start by Googling beavers."

Mike instantly shot me "the look" and then I realized...well, um...I think you probably know what I realized. (And if you don't, I am happy for you that you don't.)
So I told Andrew to wait--that I would come and help him.

So glad I did. That was an explanation I was glad not to have to give.

The report and poster turned out great. We learned a lot about beavers. We learned that they are monogamous, they are actually rodents and they are second only to humans in their ability to manipulate and change their environment.

I am happy that his report is done. I am even happier that his report was completed while retaining a bit of his innocence.

6 comments:

CJ said...

Internet searches are great except that they often give us far more information than we want as almost exemplified in this instance. I always enjoyed it when the kids had to do reports because I always ended up learning about things I might not have investigated otherwise. The poster looks terrific and props to Andrew for doing it before the last minute.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad he got his project done without being exposed to anything bad. :) It turned out great!

Unknown said...

Another lesson learned. Andrew has such a great mind and we hope it will always be filled with so many good things that they will crowd out the bad.
That is one super poster!!

Julie Jones said...

Don't you have a funny "beaver" story! JK

Beverly said...

Yes, in fact I do have a funny story. However, I am prohibited from sharing it on the internet. That doesn't mean we can't laugh about it off the internet.

Brittany said...

Ha Ha, so funny. I'm sure when Andrew said he wanted to do his report on beavers, Mike was like "that's my boy!"