Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I got injured...injured bad.

Before I begin my tale of woe I will share with you one of my old favorites from youtube. Enjoy!






I had big plans this week. I was going to get so many things checked off my list. Then, I decided to make fajitas.


I was slicing three beautiful peppers--a yellow, a red and a green--with my favorite santoku knife. It is the knife I use several times a day.

I realized that the knife was a little dull, but I decided to just finish the peppers and then sharpen it. Bad idea. I was on the last pepper when the knife slipped off the skin of the pepper and sliced off a quarter of my index fingernail (along with a big chunk of flesh.)

I howled and called for Mike. The kids all came running and I heard Andrew say, "Let me guess, she cut herself again?"

Again? It's not like I do this that often--at least not this badly.

There was blood. There was whining. I think at one point I actually called out for my mommy.

I got bandaged up and went back work on the fajitas--with only one hand. I suppose I should mention that I did discard the peppers I was working on when the incident occured.

The fajitas were good, but my finger is not doing so well.

I can't get it wet, so I am doing dishes with one hand. Everytime I do a task, I tend to bump it. I have to wear stretchy pants (now I want to watch Nacho Libre) because I can't zip and button.

Hopefully it will heal quickly so I can get back to my chores. First thing I will be doing--sharpening my knife.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no!!!! I totally understand your pain. I have a post about an avacado, a knife, and my hand. It is no fun! I hope you heal quickly, but hey, those stretchy pants sound delightful, I might just go put mine on now....

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mike said...

I was actually hoping for the pictures to be posted as well!! I will defend my poor wife as this post doesn't make her look like the sharpest knife in the drawer (I had to use that one..Sorry). For as much as she does with knives and other tools amongst all her projects I dare say she injures herself at a much lower percentage than I do or most other people for that matter.

CJ said...

You probably did call out for your mommy. That seems to be a natural reaction no matter how grown up we become -- especially when it involves an injury or being really sick. I really, really hope it gets better fast and I feel bad I didn't see this before I talked to you today.

CJ said...

Oh. I almost forgot. Add sharpen all dull knives to you latest list.

Erika Huff said...

Oh I am sorry sweetie! I hope you heal up better soon. Good thing you were cutting the peppers and not the cheese :)(I had to jump on the Mike lame joke bandwagon.)

Julie Jones said...

Your poor finger. It STILL looks awful.
BTW doesn't Mike have a hurt finger story? Oh, never mind, that was his toe. I believe it "hrit".