Tuesday, April 13, 2010

reality bites...and hopefully, so will my kids

I bought this DVD several years ago when the kids kept seeing it advertised on TV. It is produced by John Walsh and Julie Clark (of Baby Einstein fame.) I highly recommend it. (Let me know if anyone wants to borrow it.)

I love the DVD, but I hate that perverts and abduction and child-killers are part of the world my kids have to live in. I hate that part of their innocence has to be destroyed to keep them safe.

Okay, I have stepped away from the soapbox--back to the story.

Every few months the kids pull out the DVD and we watch it. It isn't scary, but really teaches kids about staying safe.

The problem is that every time we watch it, every time we discuss stranger safety, Christian says something to the effect of: "I will just punch them and kick them in the ___." (The blank stands for all the various names I have heard him use for that part of the anatomy--another discussion for another day.)

We constantly teach him that should he ever be in that situation, he should run and yell first. He continues to talk about beating up the bad guy.

Last night at dinner, the topic came up once again. Once again Mike reiterated the importance of running and yelling. He reminded him that even though Christian is tough, adults are bigger and stronger. Once again Christian insisted that he would "kick the bad guy's trash."

Next thing we know Mike and Christian are in the family room. The rest of us sat at the kitchen table and watched as Mike gave the little guy a reality check. Mike taught the kids another important fact in fighting off a bad guy--when he covers your mouth, bite him.

The kids went to bed and I went downstairs to the death chamber (aka the home gym) to exercise. I watched yesterday's Oprah. It was about child sexual predators. I ended up exercising a little longer than usual because my blood was a boilin'.

But, after ruminating on the special place in Hell that will be theirs, I focused on the message of the show. The information the predators shared was disgusting, but helpful. They all talked about the type of child they sought out--vulnerable, at-risk kids. Kids that didn't get a lot of attention, affection and supervision. They also talked about how they won the trust of the parents.

The most important part for me was that several of them talked about potential victims that didn't become victims because they fought back, were difficult, and were big-mouths.

I think manners are important, but after shows like that, I am reminded to teach my kids that there are times they need to be difficult.

I am reminded to build their self-confidence.

I am reminded to teach them to listen to the still small voice.

I am reminded to give them the attention and affection they need.

I am reminded to talk to them about the evil that exists in the world.

We will be watching the DVD tonight. We will practice yelling together: "This is not my mom. This is not my dad." I will be giving them lot of snuggles.

Hopefully, we will not need to have another abduction reinactment in the family room--that gave me anxiety.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Our world gets uglier and uglier and it is so sad.
Kids need all the help they can get to know what to do.

CJ said...

There have always been dangers we've had to teach kids about, but those dangers seem to be getting uglier and more prevelant -- or at least more out in the open all the time. I hope the lessons you are teaching will stick with the kids.

Amanda said...

oooh- I want to borrow it! I actually role play stranger danger with my kids all the time. I saw somewhere that if a stranger tries to grab them that they should throw themselves on the ground and begin kicking and screaming "Stranger stranger 911- stranger stranger 911" My kids usually laugh through the whole thing so I wonder what they would really do??

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beverly said...

Amanda--you can take it at presidency meeting. Joidee--I'll get it to you next.