Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Easter Review

We had a great Easter. I wonder how long I will be able to dress the kids alike--I don't think it will be very much longer. When I showed Andrew his shirt he said, "Um, Mom isn't that like a girl's shirt--it's got a lot of colors." I assured him that it was a boy's shirt. He said, "Well, I think it might be humiliating to wear it." Well, he wore it and liked it--I think.
They loved coloring eggs.
I made them each a big sugar cookie for their Easter baskets--yeah, we don't do the whole Easter bunny thing. They know that we do their baskets. I don't have some philosophical issue with The Bunny him or herself--although I haven't ever seen a life-sized one that doesn't totally creep me out. I think it is just so far-fetched--I never believed it, I guess I don't expect that my kids will either.

Just so ya'll don't think I am totally destroying the magic of my kid's childhood, yes, we do the T.F. and S.C.--I'm down with them--just not the Bunny.
I found a Easter cookie recipe where each ingredient helps tell the story of the Crucifixion and Resurrection. You put them in the oven and turn it off. The next morning you pull them out and they are hollow--like the tomb was. They didn't taste great, but it was fun making them.

With all the eggs and grass and candy, we have tried to make sure we talk about the real reason for the celebration--this recipe helped do that.
And, of course, the much anticipated egg hunt at Grandma's. Ryan and Natalie always hide the eggs. We love watching them go crazy in the hunt. Afterwards, Grandma sits them all down and evens out the stashes.
I am now removing all traces of Easter treats from the house--I don't need the temptation. I am also keeping busy cleaning up all of that Easter grass. I actually found a piece in my pillowcase.

6 comments:

Andrea said...

I can't find matching dresses for my baby and 5yr old, and it bugs me! I think it's cause my 5yr old has grown up out of the toddler sizes.

Cool cookie-tomb idea!
Oh, and my idea of ridding the house of all the easter candy is eating it all. And I'm just about done. (I CANNOT throw candy, esp chocolate, away!)

Rob said...

Bev looks so pretty in her Easter dress. She is so sophisticated looking. You are an awesome mom. We do not do the Easter bunny at our house either, I wonder if one day my kids are going to wonder why not. -Diedre

Hilary said...

Yeah, I've always had issues with the Easter Bunny. Hopefully my kids won't be scarred for life. Of course, I still have plenty of time to make sure they are. . .(Ha Ha).

CJ said...

Andrew and Christian look very handsome and Beverly and Jessica look beautiful. Maybe you can keep up a color theme if not the actual same clothes for future Easters because unless you are really, really into making their clothes yourself, you have probably hit the same clothes wall. Darn. Kids grow up way too fast.

Unknown said...

It's great the way your family celebrates Easter. Too many forget the real meaning and concentrate on the Easter Bunny thing.
Love their outfits!!

Mike said...

To those of you that read this, please do not do this "tomb" cookies project hoping that your childs reward will be getting to eat one! It was more punishment than reward. The idea was great and went over well, the cookies were just not good AT ALL! Alisa did a great job and we are all pretty lucky in this house to have her take care of stuff like this. If it were left up to me, let's just say the kids wouldn't match and the store bough cookies are no where near as good as the ones she made.