Tuesday, March 3, 2009

He's Back (on my I-pod anyway)

Let me take you back twenty plus years. I had an obsession with all things Michael Jackson. I owned a Michael Jackson purse (purchased at Stone Drug.) His was the first "tape" I ever bought. I watched and recorded his videos on Friday Night Videos. My girlfriends and I memorized the dance to Thriller. I know ya'll learned to moonwalk.

So, last week that kid on American Idol sang Man in the Mirror and I was all, "Where and when did I forget about Michael Jackson?" Well then I remembered him going all weird (my dad always told me he was weird) and lighter and facially-altered. Then came the child abuse stuff. I guess I couldn't listen to his tunes without thinking about that. Apparently I have forgotten all of that--I have just put him on my I-pod. I am also, apparently, singing Man in the Mirror around the house a lot.

Yesterday we cleaned out kids bedrooms and I guess I was humming or singing it. Christian asked about the song, so I took him downstairs and showed him this video--I try to teach the rascals a little music appreciation every once in a while. His only response was, "Why does he have so many hiccups?" He watched for about 1 minute, then left.

Now I admit, he is lip-syncing for the first half, but it is still a great performance, and such a great song. Oh, and I just love a good gospel choir.

3 comments:

Smilin' sunshine said...

I miss those days of the good Michael Jackson! He is a bit different now!

CJ said...

Too bad the music and the artist went such separate ways. Oh well, the music is still great.

Mike said...

Don't encourage her. Michael, Madonna, she likes 'em all!! It really makes me question myself when I see her taste in men like this.