Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Who let the cat in?

In a moment of weakness I said "yes" to this:
Here's the story. Bev's class is in a portable at school. Apparently somebody dropped off a litter of kittens at the school. The kittens sought refuge under one of the portables. Bev's teacher got two of them out and told the kids that the kittens were up for adoption. Bev came home that day asking if we could have one. I said "no." The next day I found a list in her backpack. It was entitled "Cat Names." Each day I found myself considering the possiblity of becoming a cat lady.

The kids have been asking for a pet for a while. Here's my issue. I have a whole bunch of humans to take care of. I have a house to clean and laundry to do and food to cook. I don't want to add one more "thing" to my list.

Also, the whole cat thing. I was very allergic as a kid--my allergies landed me in the ER. I have been using my allergies as the reason we can't have a cat. The truth is that I haven't particularly liked cats.

I started reading a bit about them and talking to some people about them. They are really quite clean. They are low-maintenance. You don't have to kennel them when you go out of town. The downside is the clawing and possible hair.

So, I started talking to Mike about it. He just told me I could say "yes" if I wanted to. I don't think he thought I would.

We went to see her and we ended up taking her home. Her name is is Tiger. Tiger because she looks like one--hopefully not because she acts like one.

When we went to buy all the cat supplies I asked Andrew and Bev if they would contribute their last three weeks allowance. Andrew said "yes" immediately. Bev said, "um, let me think about it." She is such a stinker.
I cannot even describe how much fun we have had with her. That's right, I said "we." If you ever just need to feel happy, come on over and watch her play for a few minutes. It's crazy how fun she is to watch.

The kids are loving her. It is hard for them to leave her. During church on Sunday, Bev told me that before Primary she needed to run home and check on her. Then on Monday, Andrew and Bev were both worried to go to school and be away from her for that long.

I know that she is a novelty right now. I know that she will grow up. I know that eventually she will probably poop on my floor or tear down my curtains. I am prepared for that. I guess I am willing to do it because I am a big sucker for my kids (and, apparently, for animals too.)

My mom and dad's 13 year-old dog Maggie died last week. That probably had a lot to do with my saying "yes." My kids growing up and going off to school probably had something to do with it too.

Bev is at a great age to really take care of an animal. She feeds her and takes care of the litter box (so far anyway.) The night we brought her home Bev came up and gave me a big hug and said, "I never thought you would let me get her--never in a million years."

I guess I surprised her--I surprised myself too.

6 comments:

creativeguy said...

CONGRATULATIONS! on the new addition. Remember they can help keep take care of any stray mice too!

Camille said...

Hey crazy cat lady....wassss uppp? You are a total push over. I am still planning to stage an intervention. First of all I need you to know how much we all care about you; secondly, if one cat becomes two you are officially the crazy cat lady; third, if I ever hear you say, "I mean the litter box stinks and everything, but you just kind of get used to it." I will personally catnap that sucker right out of your life. Love ya! (I guess you do have a soft spot for things)

Smilin' sunshine said...

Fun for you, but wait, why are they asking for a pet? What happened to that BIG dog of yours?

Brittany said...

Love Bev's comment- I hate it when my kids are speechless over my sometimes niceness. It's like "Am I really that mean!"
One thing I like about cats is that they disappear for hours!!

Unknown said...

Good luck with Tiger. I am not a cat lover but can imagine how thrilled the kids are. Hope you won't be sorry. I never thought you could be talked into this situation. You are full of surprises.

Robyn said...

Cute kitty. Love kittens but they grow up to be CATS. My girls have been asking for one for a while. You are much better than be. I will just send them your way when they get the urge to ask about getting one again.