Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Conference Traditions

I love General Conference.

We record the Saturday sessions because Mike coaches the kids and they are either in Fall sports or Spring sports during conference. Then we get to watch those talks over the next week. We go to my parents after the kid's games and catch the last session there.

It has become tradition that then the adults go shooting. This year I was introduced to the fun of shaking a can of soda and tossing it in the air for someone to shoot--not that I can hit it mind you, but way fun to watch others do it.

Then we get back to Mom and Dad's and the boys all get changed and head off to Priesthood session together. My Dad reminded me that in two short years Andrew will be joining them. This too is a great tradition. The women folk all stay back with the kidlets and eat and fix the men a steak dinner.

Another tradition is my Dad buying Swedish Fish and other "quiet" treats for the boys to munch on during the meeting.

Sunday, Mike makes breakfast with the kids and we watch "church on t.v." I always work on a cross-stitch project and the kids do quiet activites like drawing and puzzles. This year Bev and Kiki did watercoloring. Bev made that beautiful picture of Christ. She brought it over to me and I asked her if she copied a picture. She said that she didn't, that it was "from her imagination."

One of my favorite talks was given by Pres. Eyring. He told about a gravestone of a mother and grandmother which read, "Please, no empty chairs." I can't wait to read that talk again.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love Beverly's picture!!
Family traditions are wonderful.
We enjoyed all the sessions of Conference. It is always just what we need.
Glad you finally had time to blog. We have missed them.

Brittany said...

It's nice having older kids that can sit (maybe not listen to everything) but at least sit.
I loved it when (I can't remember who) talked about the sign to Severe County saying , "What happens here you can share with your friends." I thought that needs to be a motto around our house opposed to the "what happens here stays here" saying :)

CJ said...

What a wonderful weekend. Inspiring and fun. Can't beat that.

THE NORRIS FAMILY said...

I love conference - and especially love reading about traditions! Reading your family's made me wish I lived closer to mine during that weekend! : )
It's such a blessing to be able to record the sessions and watch them later, isn't it? And Bev's picture is really great! What are you going to do with it?