Wednesday, August 26, 2009

a big day

Christian came in our room at around 4 a.m. asking for his school clothes. Then, as Bev and Andrew were getting ready to leave, he put his backpack on. All morning he kept asking if it was noon yet. At eleven, he wanted to practice walking to the bus stop--over and over again. We took some pictures.
I know he will do great. He is so incredibly independent. He loves learning and he loves new things. He loves being big and he is ready for this.

He waited at the stop with his friend Tommy and when the bus finally came he jumped right on and didn't look back. I drove to the school to watch him get off and line up. As they walked in the building, his teacher told the kids to say "bye" to the parents. He put up the peace sign, looked at me and said, "peace out mom."


So then, Jessi and I went home and read a story and took a short nap. I am going to enjoy the one-on-one time with her.


I walked to the bus stop to watch them get off. I told them to walk normal while I took pictures. Two didn't have a hard time doing it. The oldest, however, couldn't do it normally. I had to post them in a series. Click on it to see how interesting his technique is.


After he got off the bus, I asked him how his first day was. He said that there was a bad thing about it. He said they didn't get recess. I asked if they played on the playground. He said that they did but that they didn't get the "food recess." The poor guy was sitting there all afternoon just waiting to be taken to the lunchroom.

Mike called and told me that when the kids got home I was supposed to make myself scarce. I went shopping and came home to a surprise.


They decorated the house with balloons, got me a chocolate chip cookie cake and flowers. Bev made me a windchime out of beads and a pop-up card. Andrew made me a card and gave me some lego guys. My day started with breakfast in bed and some gifts--a gift card for a pedicure and a computer thingy that I needed.


Last week we had a party with Mike's family. Thanks to his parents and grandparents I am now the proud owner of some bulbs (to be planted in the front yard) and some comfy pj's (I'm such a fan of comfort attire.) Everyone spoiled me!


Then we went to one of my oldest favorite restaurants--Tres Hombres.


I also got a new lens cover (seen in the picture) because my other one is somewhere in a river in Yellowstone.

I am not really big on having a big deal made of my birthday, but Mike always has the kids help him with something special for me.



In my now advancing years, I look at birthdays with some perspective. First, if I live to 72 my life is half over. (I have to stop and think about how old I am--I still feel like I am twenty-something.) Hopefully I live well past 72, but anyhow, it motivates me to try and make the next 36 even better than the last 36. I am a very blessed person. I have such great kids. I have such a great partner/dad for my kids/lovie-bear in Mike. I have a great, supportive family--my own and Mike's (that are my own too.) I have wonderful friends. We have our health. We have the things we need. I am able to stay home with my rascals.


I am a very lucky girl, cough, woman.

5 comments:

Smilin' sunshine said...

Happy Birthday!! Nice of Mike to make your day special!

CJ said...

Boy have you had a week's worth of birthday fun. I'm glad Mike and the kids spoil you. And yes, your age perspective definitely changes as the years go by. I'm in the"Hey I made it another year stage."

Gwen said...

Christian was more than ready for school and the bus ride. It's nice he has a friend to go with. He is such a fun boy.
Glad Mike and the kids make your birthdays special. We called and left a birthday message but you were off somewhere so missed talking to you. Anyway--HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! That's better than hearing us sing. We love you!!

Janna said...

You are a LUCKY GIRL! I have to say that because I have lived half of my life too....If I live to be 72. (I had no idea that we were the same age??)
Good thing that Christian was excited for school, that makes it a lot easier to be the mom left at home.
OH--- Happy Late Birthday!!

Michelle said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FRIEND!! Doesn't it just feel great to be getting old? It sounds like you had a really nice day. Enjoy your time with the kids in school.