Wednesday, August 19, 2009

where the buffalo roam

Our trip to Yellowstone was great. The last time we were there was nine years ago. The whole time there I kept wondering why it has taken us so long to come back. It is one of the most beautiful places. The song running through my mind (and there is often a song stuck in my head) was Home on the Range. We saw several buffalo--one in the middle of the road held us up for well over an hour while the ranger got it off where he wanted it.
Five families went together, and man did we have fun. This is the entourage. Our kids are really getting used to road trips--they did great with all of the driving.

We stayed in Island Park at a fabulous house. There was a lot of game-playing, light saber-fighting, pool-playing and s'more-making.

We arrived early and couldn't check-in to the house so we headed down to the lake. I went back to the car to get my camera and when I returned several kids had jumped in. Bev, Kasidee and Abbey jumping in together.

Kiki is a beast in water.

I didn't post a picture here, but a few kids decided to strip down to their undies and jump in, so the rest of the boys joined in. This was a pre-undressing shot.

I love these girls. Brittany, Suzie and Camille, and Teena (not pictured) are my pals. It was good times with good friends.
In Yellowstone we went to the Boiling River. I kept wishing I had brought my suit so I could get in. It is where a hot spring meets a river. I think this was the kid's favorite thing we did on the trip.

The kids loved hiking and exploring nature.

Jessi with Livvy.

Bev, Sophie and Rylee.

There was a lot of climbing and finding sticks and rocks.


It started to rain as we left the park on our last day.

Yellowstone has some of the prettiest scenery I have ever seen.

Old Faithful.

Eleven of the seventeen kids on the trip.

It will not be another nine years until we return.

5 comments:

Kevin & Lindsay said...

Looks awesome. We haven't been there for about 8 years either, we need to go back too. I love you pictures. You guys are busy this summer, i love it!

Grandma said...

Yellowstone was always one of our favorite places to go.
Glad you have so many friends who like to explore and have fun.

CJ said...

What a crew to keep track of and yet so many friends to have fun with at the same time. Now I really want to go back soon.

THE NORRIS FAMILY said...

Yellowstone was my favorite place to visit when I lived in the west. Miss it. Lots of cities out here, but nothing that matches that majestic beauty! And how awesome to have done it with so many friends too!

Janna said...

I am kicking myself right now! We were going to plan a trip there about 3 years ago, but couldn't find anywhere to stay. So we didn't go. The last time I was there I was probably 3 years old. It will definitely be on our list for next year! What a beautiful place. Thanks for sharing the beauty of the photos with me.