Monday, January 26, 2015

2015: week 2

I always struggle in January because, well, the party is over.  The party that is December:  gift-giving, parties, treat-making, family and friends, Christmas movies and lights.  December is also stressful--so many to-dos, but I love it.  The thing I love the most is the the time I have with the kids and Mike.  Two weeks of no school means we play games and watch movies and stay up late and get up late and talk and play.  As my kids get older, I find myself hanging on to these days of togetherness.  I just really like being with them.  I love having teenagers.  I love their spunkiness and growing independence. I love their personalities and humor.  Jess and Kiki are at fun stages too.

So, to manage my January blues, I try to make a plan.  This year the plan includes going to Mexico so I can avoid my January problems at home.  It also includes a big to-do list.  My basement needs attention in a serious way.  I have some professional development and licensing stuff I need to do.  I have some reading and learning to do.  I have an exercise plan to get going.  I have to overcome my desire to sit with a blanket over my lap with my heater blowing warmth while crocheting and watching Downton Abbey with Charlie Cat by my side.  (I actually did that one afternoon...it was heaven and I felt like an 80 year-old.)

I made these for Mike for Christmas.  We have never owned coasters...with all the Diet Pepsi consumed around here, I decided it was time.


She got her braces off.  Her gums are really swollen, and she is getting used to her permanent retainers, but she is thrilled to have them off.


This is called denial:  January 10th and we still have our Christmas trees up.  Saturday came around and I enlisted the help of the family to get Christmas taken down.  We then took them out to dinner for their hard work.  It took all six of us 4 hours to get it all done.


I also finally took down the "40" in pictures I did for Mike's birthday...


And the Christmas cards on the cabinets.


Drew had been sick, so Bev made him his own contaminated glass.


Jessi was practicing when Mike came home.  He sat down across from her and listened.  Every time she made a mistake, he made a funny face and she started to giggle.  It was so cute.


The three oldest, along with cousins Jack and Luke, are loving ski lessons.  I get Christian early from school and take him to the middle school where a bus comes to get them.  Bev said that Christian is doing great for a beginner.


Christian wanted to play Mindflex with Mike.  Charlie was so curious about it, he wouldn't leave them alone.


Then later, Charlie wouldn't let Christian do his spelling.  He first walked all over the paper, then rubbed on Christian and finally kept putting his paws all over the page.  Christian said, "I don't have the heart to kick him out...he just wants to be with me."  Charlie sleeps with Christian every night.


Bev's hair is out of control.  A trim is in her future.


I had it with kids leaving their shoes and backpacks and miscellaneous crap everywhere, so I declared that I would be charging 50 cents for each infraction.  Christian then asked if he could pre-pay for his mistakes.  He said he thought $10 would cover him for a month.  Bev then made this sign on the garage door, to hopefully remind everyone to put their shoes on the shoe rack, not on the floor.  If it doesn't work, I am going to be a rich woman.


Saturday Mike and the three youngest went with our friends to a hockey game.  They got to watch it from the suite.  Drew was at a party and I was at my friend's party.


My friend, Amee, did a "Favorites Party."  It was great.  Everyone brought a favorite food with the recipe along with a list of other favorite things.  I had some great take-aways.


Sunday, and we were having dinner at Camille's.  Christian and Mike rode bikes, in the winter, in the dark.  Mike is a good sport.




No comments: