Tuesday, July 3, 2012

we survived the last two weeks of school

Every year I think it can't get any busier, and then it does.  I just had to make a note in my calendar for what kid needed what each day.  It ranged from homework assignments to major projects, from special supplies to special attire.  Here's a rundown of our last two weeks.

Mike and I went to Christian's dress rehearsal of the Ugly Duckling on Monday, and then I went to the performance for the parents on Tuesday.  Christian was one of the ducklings, but his favorite part was being able to play the maracas.







The fifth grade did an amazing patriotic program.  We got front row seats to watch Bev.


Jessica did an oral book report.  She picked a Fancy Nancy book and dressed the part.


Along with outlaw day (see cowgirl below,) the first grade did ice cream day, bubble day, water day, read-a-thon, etc.  It was something special every day for the last two weeks.


For the Teddy Bear Picnic, they brought a sack lunch, a stuffed animal and a blanket.


I got to go help in her class on ice cream day.  The kids each got to make ice cream in a baggie.


Drew was not happy with some of his scores, so he redid some work.  He had to do a country report, and because of his fondness of all things Ancient Greek, he picked Greece.  He was most concerned about the map--it has a very wiggly border.  So, I taught him the old tracing against the window technique.




He redid his Asia map.


And his heat poster.


Bev got to do her state report on Hawaii.  She dressed in a Hawaiian dress and took a few souvenirs for her report.


I know that the kids learn something by doing big projects, but lets be honest, it's a lot of dang work for the parents too.  She envisioned a luau themed float.


Yes, that is a dead pig at the luau.



She had her monthly book report due, so we headed to the library to find some books.  She picked a book on Mia Hamm, Little House on the Prairie and a book about Cancun, Mexico.



I got a call on three different days that Christian had a bloody nose.  I started just keeping a change of clothes in the car.


I am the room mom for Christian's class, so I got to do field day with him.  We played some fun water games, but I soon realized that I put too much thought into it.  They would have been perfectly happy with an activity where I just dumped buckets of water on them.


Bev and Abby at Field Day.


I got to see Drew there too.


Last home lunch of the year--a PB&J, strawberries and some energy balls.


Drew knew that Christian needed to learn about and do a flag raising and flag retirement for Cub Scouts, so he volunteered to do it for the last week of school.  Christian went with him every morning and after school to do the flag.


Last day of Safety Patrol.


I have been so grateful for wonderful teachers this year.  As I send them off in the morning, it has brought me such peace to know that they are spending seven hours of the day with these amazing people.

Mrs. Jensen was the perfect teacher for Jessi.


I adore Mrs. Chang.  Amazing teacher.  Amazing person.



He spent half the day with Mrs. Anderson who is also an amazing teacher.



Mrs. Hair is just top notch.  Bev loved her, and so did I.


Drew had a great year with Mr. Olsen.  It was a huge class with only 8 girls, so it was a little crazy, but Drew loved being in his class.


Tradition at our school is to have a dance party for the 6th-graders on the last day of school.  We planned a luau-themed dance.



We had a DJ, amazing Hawaiian decorations, tons of donuts, smoothies, yearbook signing and a "most likely" awards ceremony.  Drew was voted "Most Likely to Become a Teacher."  I was in charge of the photo booth.


We had the DJ play only fast songs, but he did one slow song and had the kids "snowball" out to dance with lots of different people.  I loved that I got to be there to see Drew dance with a girl for the first time, and because I was shooting lots of pictures, I was able to snap a picture of him dancing with two girls.  He told me I was not allowed to put them on the blog.  



Every year we have a late night to celebrate the last day of school.  The kids each had two or three friends over for pizza, cupcakes, fruit and games.  It is getting so easy--they sort of plan their own activities.  We just have to supply the food.


I am feeling so blessed for a great school year, for my kids' good friends, for wonderful teachers and for the chance I have to be involved at their school.  They are all progressing and learning and exploring new ideas.  I love hearing about their day at school, about how their world is expanding with all of this knowledge.

I am a little sentimental as this is Drew's last year at the elementary school.  Next year we will have not only two different start and end times, but three different track schedules--Drew will be on a traditional schedule, Jessi and Bev on one track and Christian, because of Chinese, another track.

We are now trying to soak up these whopping three weeks of summer break we have together until Christian starts 3rd grade.



2 comments:

Julie Jones said...

I don't know how you do it Alisa!

CJ said...

What a wonderful,fun and amazingly busy few weeks.