Sunday, July 15, 2012

empty cage


Poor Nibbles the Hamster was critically injured in a Barbie house accident, and died a few hours later.  It was a sad day for the family.  Bev held him while I investigated the accident.  It made her nervous to hold him, so I held him as he took his last breath.  A few of us were crying, when Andrew walked in and said he had something to play for us on the piano.  It was the Funeral March.  Mike and I exchanged glances--he was trying not to laugh and I was trying not to laugh through my tears.

We made a little casket out of paper towels and buried him in the garden near the bleeding heart.  Bev and Christian are already making plans for a replacement hamster.  They are also establishing rules about where the hamster can play (not in the Barbie house) and who might need supervision around the hamster.

1 comment:

Rob said...

I am so sorry! It is just terrible when our kids have to go through sadness like that. But is sounds like they are learning from it which is important too. -Diedre