Sunday, February 5, 2012

let's call it "positive reinforcement"


Over the last few months, child number three has been having some resistance to Chinese homework. Although he enjoys being in the Chinese immersion program, it is hard for him, and he does not like the extra homework. We knew that there would be extra homework, and I think they need it, but it gets to be a lot for him.

So, I have been using his currency, which up to this point has been earning extra points on his chore chart and Pokemon cards, to help with motivation. The currency is now Skylanders. He has to do his homework with a good attitude and he can earn these guys.

One problem we face is that these little demons are hard to find. Mike and I looked online and then called places, and finally found some downtown. Mike then drove down before work and picked them up.

I am all about using external reinforcers on this right now, hoping that the internal will follow, and that he will get over this hurdle. I don't want to go all Tiger Mother on him, but, I want to make sure we keep the expectations high. So, we are going to just take it one day at a time, give lots of encouragement and play us some Skylanders.

3 comments:

Amanda said...

We are still on the hunt for some of those little darlings for Ethan- I'm all for currency- it works-I had to tell you that Ethan drew himself as a cat on the class shirt this year. I think he might need to come live at your house- he's made himself a cat bed and the other day he scratched Whitney on purpose- because that's what cats do of course.

CJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CJ said...

Rewards do seem to help when things get rough. Hey, we all need them occasionally.