Thursday, September 1, 2011

so much to read . . .

. . . so little time.
I always have a stack of books on my bedside table. The pile is always pretty tall. I have finished a few of them, but most have only been started. Some are for book club, but most are parenting books. I have promised a few people to make a list of my favorite parenting books, so without further ado, I present my book list.

Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child Is More Intense, Sensitive, Perceptive, Persistent, and Energetic
by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

(My favorite parenting book. I heard about it in graduate school, and bought it when Andrew was about 10 months old. I love that it positively frames kids who are "more," but I think it has some of the best advice for dealing with all kinds of kids.)

Parenting With Love and Logic
by Foster CLine and Jim Fay

Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters
by Meg Meeker, M.D.

Boys Should Be Boys
By Meg Meeker, M.D.

Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls
by Mary Pipher

The Shelter of Each Other: Rebuilding Our Families to Enrich Our Lives
by Mary Pipher

The Entitlement Trap
by Richard and Linda Eyre

(I haven't read this yet, but it sounds great, and has now been put on the list.)

3 comments:

Rob said...

I just realized something, now that I have a girl I can no longer focus on just the boys stuff. DARN! Now I have to worry about the girl side of things too. Man. You are so on top of it. Maybe you should just write up a pamphlet on the stuff you have learned and I read those and gain insight that way. I have never been a book reader, more of a magazine (give it to me quick) type of girl. _Diedre

Natalie said...

What a list! I just finished "5 Spiritual Solutions to Everyday Parenting Challenges". Very good message overall and ....interesting in some parts. It would be interesting to get your take on it:) Good reading to you!

CJ said...

Great reading list. If the Entitlement Trap is anywhere near as good as their newspaper column it will be a terrific read.