Sunday, September 11, 2011

remembering . . .

It's hard to believe it has been 10 years.

That Tuesday was Mike's day home with the kids while I went to work. Andrew was three and Bev was 5 months old. I had the Today show turned on as I was getting ready for work. When I saw what was happening, I woke Mike up, who had Bev sleeping next to him. We watched together for a few minutes--it felt surreal. I went to work and focused on the kids at school. I spent the day (and the next few weeks) helping kids deal with what happened. I got information for teachers and parents about dealing with trauma, the importance of kids avoid as much footage as possible, and how to handle kids' questions.

I am now dealing with my own kids' questions, and it's not easy. We are focusing on the regular people that became heros that day.

3 comments:

Rob said...

When I talked to my kids about it today they were caught off guards a bit. I thought it was important for them to know about it, to not be left wondering when someone mentioned it today or in school this week. But after the talk my kids were worried that it would happen again. I tried to help them feel safe and know how blessed they are to live here in America but to also let them know that history is a part of us, the good and the bad. It is hard to approach these things sometimes. -Diedre

Rob said...

P.S. Have you ever thought about homeschooling your kids? I keep toying with the idea and I am just not sure. What makes you do public school instead of homeschool? I am not sure I am organized enough to pull it off, or if my kids just do better with someone else as their task-master for the day. Thoughts?

CJ said...

It's hard to realize that ten years have gone by and yet we are still fighting the same/different wars. Will we -- a collective we -- ever learn?