Thursday, September 1, 2011

out of the mouth of babes: mom's apparently a beast edition

On the way home from football tonight, Andrew took a deep breath and asked, "Mom, just for future reference, when are you in your happiest moments?"

Me: "Well, that depends...I'm in a happy mood right now. Why do you ask?"

Drew: "I have something to tell you, but can we discuss this calmly and rationally?"

Me: "Yes." (I didn't realize that I don't discuss things calmly and rationally.)

Drew then went on to tell me that he forgot to do a homework page last night, therefore receiving a "-1" in his planner. This was the second time this week he had forgotten a homework assignment. I listened and then said, "Drew, we are having some responsibility issues lately."

Drew: "Yes, I'm aware of that."

Then, I hear him utter, under his breath, "Okay, that went better than I expected."

I am now re-evaluating my "calm and rational."

4 comments:

Rob said...

Perfect! Children have such a way sometimes. _diedre

Smilin' sunshine said...

That's funny!!

CJ said...

Calm and rational is in the eye of the beholder. The under their breath (or behind your back) comments are always a tell. The good part is that they are talking about and not hiding goofs.

Courts said...

hahahaha... I love that kid. :)