Monday, November 15, 2010

We're Goin' to Disneyland!

Jessi has had this old sweatshirt of Bev's hanging in her closet for a few years. She keeps trying it on to see if it fits. It finally does--just in time.

Several months ago, we started talking about going somewhere. I have had the itch for a vacation and the kids have almost the entire month of December off of school. After not much deliberation, we decided on The Happiest Place on Earth. (We both really wanted to do Mexico, but Jessi is in the princess phase, and it has been a few years since we have done Disney.)

I had been thinking up a great way to tell the kids--something cool like a treasure hunt. The kids had just come home from school and the weather was great, so I sent them out to play while I called Mike with the details. I got them outside, went in the office, closed the door and called him. I told him the all of the plans, then turned around to see Andrew sitting on the floor under my craft table with his DS.

He had apparently wanted a few minutes of "personal time," aka: Mom not bugging him, so he headed into the office to relax with his video game. He had a look of half excited and half "I'm a dead man" on his face.

He instantly said, "I promise I won't tell. I will forget this ever happened. Mom, don't be mad at me."

I wasn't mad. We ended up telling the other kids in a very non-creative way--that night over dinner we just announced it. I think I am excited as they are.

A good thing about this trip is that I have to be very prepared for the holidays. We did the annual trip to Toys-R-Us to see what the kids want to put on their Christmas lists. We bought our new fake Christmas tree--it's going up tonight. I have many projects that need to get done before Christmas--I'm trying to get them checked off. It's going slowly.

I have tried in years past to be done with most of the shopping by Thanksgiving. If I am going to accomplish that, I have a lot to do in the next week.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

That's great news. It's wonderful there anytime but super special at Christmas.
Andrew picked a good place to hang out.
Glad the shirt fits Jessica. She is darling in it.

Brittany said...

Wish we could go too! Awkward for Andrew, poor kid! Somebody told me about a book that you can get to do scavenger hunt's while you're standing waiting in line. I will find out.

CJ said...

Two good things. Andrew wouldn't have told and you didn't have to find a creative way to tell the rest of them ;-) I would have loved to see the look on his face. that would have been priceless. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Andrea said...

Ha ha - can't ever keep a secret from kids for too long. Christmas time is especially hard! Have fun! (Maybe Jessie will meet Tiana!)