Tuesday, November 23, 2010

thanksgiving

Today, the same as everyday, Jessi sat on the barstool and gave me her lunch order. Because it is just the two of us, she usually gets to pick what she wants to eat.

Food is an important part of her life--probably because she was deprived of it in her early life. She is always asking about what I'm cooking, what the smell is, if it is sweet or salty. She loves to watch and help me cook. She loves going to the grocery store. Each time we go, I try to let her choose something new to try. Her latest favorites are: Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup (I don't think my other kids have ever tried it,) fruit leather, Spaghetti O's (She LOVES them and just opening the can makes me gag a little bit.) Whenever she is with me at Harmon's I buy her a chicken leg. Most kids would want candy or a soda. She wants a chicken leg from the deli. We get home and she sits up to the bar and cleans that leg to the bone.

So, today she sits on the barstool and tells me that she wants a hard-boiled egg, a string cheese and pink fish (salmon.) I decided to indulge her. I fixed it while she played with her Strawberry Shortcake guys in the tepee she made in kindergarten today.

I called her to sit up. Before she took a bite, she said, "I have a happy life."

Me: "I do too. We have lots of blessings, huh?"

Her: "Yeah, we are lucky to have lots of good food...and Strawberry Shortcake guys."

Out of the mouths of babes.


4 comments:

Unknown said...

It would be wonderful if we could all be happy and satisfied as easily as Jessica.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and all your great family!!

CJ said...

Being together on Sunday for Thanksgiving reminded me of how very much I have to be thankful for. I love Jessi's meal selections.

Andrea said...

She is a poster-child for Thanksgiving! Would she mind talking to my greedy kids?

Brittany said...

I love food too. And I have never been deprived...unless you count that I grew up living on Hamburger Helper and Tuna Helper.
She really does have a happy life, thanks to some awesome people I know.