Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween 2010

Halloween. I have a real love-hate relationship with this holiday. I like the festivities, the pumpkins, the kids having fun. I don't love the stress of planning school parties, costume trauma, too much stinking candy. I hate getting scared and I hate gore.

I do it for these guys.

Jessica was Tiana from Princess and the Frog. Her favorite part of Halloween was getting to wear makeup.

Christian was going to be Harry Potter. Then he saw this at Target and changed his mind.

Bev was going to be Belle from Beauty and the Beast. Then, she saw this cat lady costume at Target and changed her mind.
Andrew wanted to be Poseidon. I thought, "Oh, that will be easy--just wrap him in a white sheet and call it good." It was a little more complicated. Gold spray paint saved the day. It changed a devil pitchfork into a trident and a princess crown into a crown fit for the god of the sea.I couldn't find gladiator shoes in a kid size. So, I got some Hannah Montana sandals and some leather and went to town. I had him close his eyes when he first tried them on--to avoid him seeing the Hannah Montana in the shoe. When he took them off he saw it and said, "Mom, you are humiliating me as a man.
They were not the most sturdy shoes ever, and we had to do some repairs every time he wore them, but he was satisfied and that's all that mattered.


Andrew and Bev had big plans for trick-or-treating. They wanted to hit a lot of houses. Because of the rain, they just did our neighborhood.


Mike took the kids around and I stayed home to hand out candy.
They all came home with their buckets full. They then entertained themselves for the next hour by trading candy. The next day, I had them choose their favorites to put in a bag. The rest got put away or sent with Mike to work.
We actually got four pumpkins from our patch this year. Bev got the big one, which she wanted to carve. The other kids wanted to use the potato head decorations. Christian chose to use the pirate stuff on his. His pumpkin's bottom stem thing had unfortunate placement. Christian thought it was the funniest thing ever. I told him he needed to stop talking about his pumpkin's private parts or I would have to make the pumpkin some pants.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

We were so glad we got to see your kids all dressed in their fun costumes for Halloween. You did a great job on Andrew's.

CJ said...

The kids and the pumpkins all looked great. At least they didn't change their minds about their costume selection on Halloween night. ;-)