Friday, June 8, 2012

recovery


It's been two weeks, and Drew is doing much better.  Week one was rough.  I don't think I have ever bought that much ice cream or slushies--I have never pushed that much sugar on a child.  The picture above was taken when we encouraged him to come outside for a little fresh air while we ate dinner.  He  did not eat anything for the first week, and didn't really want to drink either.  In one week he was down 14 lbs.  He had big dark circles under his eyes and he had no energy.


While the boys were off track, we sorted and organized their legos.  I was helping Christian in his room, when Drew came in requesting his pain pills.  I went to get them and came back to him face down in the doorway surrounded by legos.  Another day, I walked in his room and found him in the same position on the floor next to his bed, and then in the family room next to the couch on the floor.  He said it was because he was "just so tired" and was "sick of the couch."


It was so sad.  We would be watching tv and he would pause it and say something like, "Mom, when I'm better can we go to Sizzler?"  And then a few minutes later, "And i'm craving Mexican."  And then a few minutes later, "When I'm better will you make me sausage?"  He didn't really talk much the first few days, so he used a notebook.  Here, he asked me to blend up a slice of pizza.  He had some Gatorade instead.  Then he made me a list of his cravings.


I found sweet notes he wrote to the kids and to me saying things like, "thanks for taking care of me" and "thanks for being a good sister.  Then I found this one.


It was all so sweet there for a week.  I guess we are on our way back to reality.  By the way, when Drew presented Christian with the note, Christian got offended that he took the word "mormon" in vain.

No comments: