Monday, June 18, 2012

piano teacher



When kids turn 8 in our family, they start taking piano lessons.  Christian turned 8 in March, and I couldn't bring myself to add one more thing to his, and my, schedule.  Between Chinese and his sports, I just felt like it would be too much.  Also, he wanted to rock the guitar and drums, not so much the piano.

Well, I started teaching him a few things, and he became interested.  Then, one day in May, Bev started teaching him lessons.  She got him a notebook, just like her teacher Katie uses for her.  She assigned him songs and helped him practice.  Here we are about 7 weeks later, and they are still going strong.  (Apparently pants and a shirt are optional in these lessons.)

So, Mike and I decided last week that this can be a job for her, that she will be paid for her teaching.  Oh how I hope it continues.  

Tonight, she was giving him his lesson, and I went in to watch.  I started counting beats for him, and she shushed me, "he doesn't like the counting Mom."  Well, okay.  

I am amazed at how well he is responding to her, and just how patient she is with him.  Hopefully with some reinforcement by the parents, these two will keep it up.


After the lesson tonight, Bev informed me that he needs a Theory book and a book bag.  She is such a little mother, and my mini-me.

No comments: