Monday, November 14, 2011

dueling pianos

Drew started taking piano lessons when he turned eight. Bev was too excited to wait, so she started a few months before she turned eight. That makes four years for him and three for her. Mike and I are amazed at how well they are doing. We both love having the sound of their practicing in our home.


Last week, Bev and Jessi were snooping around in the basement and found the keyboard. My in-laws gave it to me shortly after Mike and I got married. Once we got a real piano, I thought we would not have need for the keyboard. But, every few months, the kids get interested in it again. It is now in the family room.

Andrew was in the piano room and Bev was in the family room playing at the same time.


Most days when Mike gets home from work, one of them is practicing. He is always so good to acknowledge them and tell them how much he enjoys their playing.

I had a friend ask me recently if my kids ever wanted to quit. Bev says that she will never quit. Drew has asked how long he "has" to do piano. Every few months, I have to think about how to keep him motivated. For now, my sad story of how I quit at age 13 and regret it is working. So is the fact that "piano" is one item on their chore charts--and they get their allowance based on their chore charts. Also, I have told them that piano is required in our family--if they want to do other activities like football or soccer, then they do piano too. It also helps that they really like their teacher, Katie.

I think their biggest motivator is seeing their own progress.

2 comments:

Rob said...

That is fantastic! What devoted kids and what a diligent mom. -diedre

CJ said...

Glad to see the keyboard getting used again. Motivation can be a tricky thing and it looks like you have a good solution.