Friday, July 29, 2011

summer nights . . .

Last night was a great night. We didn't have a million places to go. We were mostly just home together. I "made" Chinese for dinner--teriyaki chicken and pot stickers from Costco and roasted broccoli. Christian makes sure that we use chop sticks whenever we eat anything Asian.


Next, Jessi and Christan had planned "family games." Andrew had scouts, so he missed the fun. The games were eight different challenges--boys vs. girls. We did a soccer dribble, a frisby toss, a baseball hit, trampoline jump, a head balancing thingy and a timed bike ride.

The trampoline jump winner was the person who got the highest from the mat.





It came down to Mike and me. The kids were the judges. They determined that Mike won.

The balancing game.


The kids were timed on riding laps around the little bike path in our backyard.




In the end, we had so much fun doing the challenges, we never figured out which team won.

When Jessi saw that I was taking pictures, she asked if she could be a model. This happens quite often and the girl can pose.





By the time I got in the house from cleaning up, Bev had already started helping Kiki with his homework--a "personality plant." It is in these moments that I am grateful for having a mini me around the house.


She had him write all of his answers first on a scratch piece of paper and then onto the final product. These are a few of the things I heard her say:

"Here is a little cup of water to help you have some energy."

In an exasperated voice, "Hold on a minute Christian, Tiger needs to come in--she is out there meowing." She then let the cat in.

The cat came and stood right next to her and meowed. In another exasperated voice she said, "Okay Tiger, I will get you some snacks." I asked her why Tiger was getting snacks. She said, "Because she is so cute."

"Good work Christian. You are being so patient to write your letters perfect."

"Oops. That is messy. Turn it over and do it again. Make it perfect."


We were not in a rush to get anywhere. Most of the kids activities are on hold through July. I will miss nights like tonight.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Wow Jes is a model! She looks fierce in those pictures. Tyra and Naomi had better watch their backs for sure! How cute of Bev to help Christian. Cute cute family you have!

CJ said...

That was a great summer night party. I will have to have Christian teach me how to use chopsticks. I learned once upon a tine, but never really got the hang of it.

Melinda said...

Could you tell me how wide you made your bike path. We are wanting to put one in. Would you have done anything different?

Melinda said...

Could you tell me how wide you made your bike path. We are wanting to put one in. Would you have done anything different?