Sunday, July 24, 2011

"in like" with Harry Potter and friends

(Halloween 2009)

It's official--we are Potterheads. I have watched the movies with my kids, but never really got into them. I didn't know my dementors from my death eaters, my expecto patronum from my stupefy. I didn't really care.

Well, that all changed this week.

We started on Sunday and watched one or two Harry Potter movies every day. Sometimes we started the movie late at night--poor Mike had to get up and go to work the next day. I highly suggest watching them in order, I mean if you have two hours every day for 8 days. I had forgotten a lot of the story. Jessi had not forgotten much.

We would start a movie and she would tell us all about what happens. She explained in detail about dementors--how they "suck all the happiness and joy from you." Her memory for all things Harry Potter was amazing. She would start telling us stuff and I would think how I wished she remembered other things as well as she remembers her HP facts.

Tuesday, we went to put in The Goblet of Fire and couldn't find it anywhere. I ran out the door at 9:50 p.m., hoping Target had it in stock. They did and we were able to stay on schedule.

Everyday the little kids, with the help of Bev, played Harry Potter. They dressed up and made wands and put an owl in a birdcage and packed bags for Hogwarts. They brought me my suitcase and look what was in it.


That is a small carry-on suitcase. She was folded up in there munching on a tortilla.

Christian came walking down the stairs in his full costume. The kid tied his own tie--correctly. I had no idea he even knew how. He is so independent. He used my kitchen broom. All Jessica could find to use was my Swiffer stick.


We watched Deathly Hallows, Part 1 on Friday night and bought tickets for Saturday to see Part 2. We all loved Part 2--I think the consensus is that it's our favorite one.

The movie explained so much. (I now heart Severus Snape.) But, a few questions remain--especially about the Malfoys. For the rest of Saturday, we (I) couldn't stop talking about it. I was ruminating about it when Mike said, "Um, you know this Harry Potter stuff is make believe, don't you?" Well, I may have forgotten for a few hours, but I remember now.

This is how Jessi watched most of the movie--she is a tiny, flexible, funny little thing.


I share with you a great article on the benefits of Harry Potter to your life:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fr-rick-malloy-sj-/harry-potter-good-for-eve_b_56968.html


Gratitude:

1. The fact that I don't need a wand to fight off bad guys in my daily life.

2. Popcorn and raspberry shakes.

3. These four muggles that make my life crazy and great.

1 comment:

CJ said...

Must run in the family. Ross and I went to see it at the IMAX so I could try out my "new ears". The movie didn't disappoint me and I thnk we all need a little magic in our lives -- good magic that is.