Thursday, November 6, 2008

Optimistically Hopeful for Change

So, I am documenting this here because this is part of my journal. I know that not all of my friends and family agree with me politically, and if it had gone the other way, I would probably be feeling the same way supporters of John McCain maybe feel right now. I actually like him. His concession speech was gracious--he is impressive.

I have to say that after Obama won, I really did feel a sense of "hope" and "change." (Rush Limbaugh would say that I have been hypnotized by Obama's voice.) The last eight years have been, for me, well, difficult to watch/experience. Not just because of our current president, but because of the lack of wisdom, honor and honesty exhibited by so many of our "leaders." I have felt a little cynical about any person who wants my vote.

I am sad that we couldn't get it together enough to oust a racist state senator (Chris Buttars, you know I am talking to you.) I am sick, sick, sick that he remains in office. But, I'm not gonna let him bring me down (until I hear another of his wonderful pearls of wisdom spoken on the floor of the state senate.)

I know our leaders will disappoint us sometimes, but there is something about Barack Obama that inspires optimism in me. I didn't vote for him because I think he is never going to make a mistake--I can enumerate the problems I have with him. I voted for him because I see so many positives in him--his temperament, intelligence, courage and vision. I voted for him because he insists that we try for better. I was also impressed that he didn't seem to engage in the negativity that was thrown to him. He said in his speech that we wouldn’t all agree with him all the time, but that he would still be honest with us, and listen to us, particularly when we disagree.

I did have someone assume that I was voting for him because I have a black child. That he is black makes this election even more historical and inspiring, but I didn't vote for him because he is black. I am excited that he is an example to all of my children--to all children--of what is possible.

On Wednesday, I Tivoed the movie "Hairspray." We had not seen it before. It helped remind me of just how different things are now for people of color--how much things have changed for the better.

Another fun experience was volunteering at the kid's school on Tuesday. The third grade was having their own election. The kids marked their ballot and put it in a box. As they were preparing to vote, I heard some of the funniest things. The kids obviously repeated stuff they had heard--or at least repeated part of what they heard. They all wanted to know which candidate I was voting for. I reminded them that it was private, so I was keeping it to myself. One little boy said, "Oh, I know, you are voting for McCain--almost all of us are." I told him that I would not tell. He then said, "You can't vote for Obama. He is going to raise our taxes." Another kid said that Obama will make it so we can't say the Pledge of Allegiance--or was it that we can't say "God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. He couldn't remember. A little girl said that her Dad said if Obama wins they might have to move to Canada. Bev came home and asked, "What's Obama's health plan?" I asked her what she meant. She told me that her friend told her that Obama's' health plan was that if a little kid was sick, he would let them die. Hearing the kid's take on things was disturbing, but really funny.

Favorite quote from his speech: "So let us summon a new spirit of patriotism; of service and responsibility where each of us resolves to pitch in and work harder and look after not only ourselves, but each other."

I know that things will never go perfectly--he is not a perfect person. I am also not willing to put any political leader on any kind of pedestal--too many come crashing down. I am going to remain a realist, but for now I am feeling more like an optimistic realist.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Alisa, I admire you for voicing your thoughts. I too love that portion of his speech. I loved his entire speech. We are not going to agree with either party 100% but I do feel that Obama will put in more effort. Unfortunately I think people's expectations will be that much greater. I hope for success in his term(s) so that people can understand wisdom can come from anyone despite their race, age, years of experience.

Brittany said...

"Yes we can!" :)

klutzykitty said...

Thank you so much for voicing all the things I feel but haven't had the opportunity to articulate so well. I think people let all the wrong things get in their heads with this election, I'm glad to see that there are plenty who didn't let it influence them. And- If we all believe it will be the change America needs, It WILL happen. YAY!

Michelle said...

Alisa, Great job on your comments. I have a hard time with people feeling they can only vote partisan. I believe there are good/bad with both parties and we just vote our conscience. I will pray for Obama just as I have Bush. Lets hope our nation gets healthier in 4 years.

CJ said...

Your comments were great. This year's elections have been good for everyone. Made all of us really research and think. No matter how we voted, we can only hope that the "new" regime will really try to make the changes necessary for our country to go forward with success. I totally agree with not voting for a party, but for the person.