Thursday, November 13, 2008

Off Track

We are on day four of a four-week-long stint of off-track time. I love the kids being home, but I am finding that by about 2 p.m. I am ready for them to have quiet time in their rooms. The toddlers are actually so much more entertained when Bev is home. She makes little worksheets for them and they play school every day. All goes well until the students revolt and don't want to do what she wants them to do. Then she gets upset because they are done, and she isn't. I can totally relate to her situation. Back when I was her age I loved playing school--no, actually I loved being the teacher. Melanie and Camille were the students. It was so frustrating when they wouldn't obey me. I think that was when they started calling me "Bossy Cow." Mean huh?

Because we are obsessed these days with all things Star Wars, we are watching all six movies in order. They were really disappointed that we didn't watch them all on Monday. We bought Kung Fu Panda and we have watched it a few times. They are doing a lot of projects like drawing, coloring, crafts, and today they mentioned the dreaded PlayDoh. I usually just put it outside on the little picnic table and let them go at it, but that only works in good weather. Can you just picture the four of them huddled together with hats and gloves and coats on, seeing their hot breath in the cold air, playing PlayDoh. I actually decided to be Fun Mom and get it out only to discover that I threw the dough away when we moved. Oh well, I guess I will just have to go to Target. (I love that place.)

We now have cement, pavers, grass and sprinklers. We are having the trees delivered tomorrow. Our yard plan is a little ambitious, so it is going to be done in stages. We are just happy that we will not have muddy snowmen made over the winter. We had the trampoline buried in the ground, so Mike told the kids he will put the actual mat on this weekend.

I have been working on some projects around the house and getting my craft room organized. I have been watching The Office, Seasons 1 & 2 while I work. It is the funniest show ever. I just love Thursdays for that reason.

5 comments:

mel said...

The schooling brings back lots of memories. Remember when the three of us were trying to teach our neighbor Jana. We thought she needed lots of help! Funny how none of us became a teacher.

Camille said...

Mooooooo! Ah, the good ole days. I was thinking about when we would build houses with the chairs in the chapel and play house. Good Times!

Brittany said...

Mean Sisters! Maybe if you can take a break from Star Wars, Kiki and Bev can come over and play this weekend-let me know

CJ said...

I think year round school is great -- a month or less at a time instead of three months at a time when everyone is bored out of their minds and getting pretty snippy with each other. Oh how I can relate to play doh, but found out it really does clean up eventually. Bev as the teacher is a great mental picture. Now Kiki doing what she says is another matter.

Julie Jones said...

Your yard looks amazing!

Tyler came in on Saturday and told me that he worked hard planting trees, and that I would have been proud of him. I hope he is right.

Love the new picture at the top of your blog!