Saturday, December 17, 2011

The Fifteenth Day of Christmas


Today, Bev graduated from D.A.R.E.. Former Miss Utah. Heather Anderson. spoke to the kids and told them about her decision to stay drug-free, and her brother's decision to not stay drug-free. I think the program is pretty great--every day for the last few weeks, Bev has come home with all kinds of statistics on drugs and alcohol. She wrote an essay about her decision and commitment to just say "no."

When I was about eleven, my mom had been going through a training in how to talk to kids about drugs. She practiced on the three of us girls. Camille and I apparently said that we would never do drugs or drink alcohol, but Melanie said that she was curious about it all. Well, we had been begging to get our ears pierced, but the age set by my parents had always been twelve. So, in a moment of inspiration, my mom asked Melanie if she got he ears pierced, would she make a promise to never use drugs or alcohol. Of course, she said "yes" and Camille and I made the same promise.

Even today, I think often about that promise I made when I put in my earrings.

So, when we adopted Jessica, and found out that her ears had already been pierced, I decided to let Bev get hers done. She was only six, but I asked her to make the same promise. Over the years since she had them done, I try to remind her often about the promise she made. In her DARE report, she mentioned her earrings and that they constantly remind her to never even try drugs or alcohol.

One day, a few weeks ago, I was talking to them about not ever trying drugs, and about Bev's promise. I asked Christian if he would make the same promise. He said, "yeah, but do I have to get my ears pierced?" I've got to think up something great for his promise--something that doesn't involve piercings or tattoos. A tattoo was his suggestion.

1 comment:

CJ said...

I'm glad Andrew and Bev have had a chance to participate in this program. It will be interesting to see what you can come up with for Christian's reminder ;)