Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

My mom called last week and invited us on a last-minute Memorial Day trip. It was a bit of a rush to get everything ready to go. The biggest worry was, of course, the kittens. Thank goodness our sweet niece Katie agreed to come care for the little darlings. I had a list of things I needed to do before we left--school stuff, church stuff. I got most of it done, and left the rest undone and headed down to Moab.
We camped in tents, which the kids loved. I prefer using the trailer, but Mike brought a blow-up mattress and plenty of pillows to make us comfy. The last night was rough with some bad wind. In the morning Jessi said that she woke up and the tent was on her. I tossed and turned and ended up sitting in the truck for an hour. Mike, with his ear plugs in, had a great night's sleep.

We hiked to Double Arch.

The kids love Sand Dune Arch. The three oldest hiked to the top of the arch with Mike. That is Bev up there.

That is Christian.

Mom with Baby Henry and Erika.

When the kids start getting buried in the sand and doing sand angels, I just go to my happy place and remember that the sand will eventually come out of their clothes and bodily crevices. Jessi's hair is the most complicated for sand removal.





Poor Andrew ended up with a chipped tooth diving in the swimming pool. We're going to see the dentist tomorrow.

We did a few hikes. At the end of the Delicate Arch hike we got pelted with sand from the wind. The wind sort of put a damper on the hiking (and camping in tents) so we cut the trip short by a day. But the time we were there was sure fun.



Our kids love hiking. They do so well.


All the hiking wore out little Max.



I like the arches, but my favorite formation is Sheep Rock.

1. A family that likes traveling together.

2. Kids that enjoy hiking and enjoy being in the great outdoors.

3. A comfortable bed to come home to.

3 comments:

Rob said...

You guys are so much fun! I am glad you were able to let things go and just have a trip with your family. _Diedre

Julie Jones said...

I'm glad you had a good time. Katie LOVED feeding the kittens, she had a blast playing with them!

CJ said...

What a wonderful time together. We camped in tents for years, but I have to agree, I enjoy the trailer more. I think in my case age has something to do with it though.