Thursday, September 2, 2010

Courtroom Drama

Last week I got my first speeding ticket in about a decade. It was on 11400 South in the construction area. It was a few blocks from our house. Several people I know passed me. I told the officer that the public humiliation of all my neighbors (and even a friend that lives miles away) should be sufficient punishment. He disagreed and gave me a $90 ticket.

Yesterday, Jessi and I went to the city court to pay the fine and get set up for traffic school. We went in the courtroom--I actually had to appear before the judge. I told Jessi that I had to talk to him and pay the fine. She then asked, in a loud voice, "If you go to jail, will Daddy come and get me?" Several people in the courtroom, including the bailiff, overheard her. The way she said it made it sound like the poor girl has been through this before--showing up to court with her mother who then gets put in the slammer. When she said it, I chuckled a little. The other people just looked at us with pity.

3 comments:

CJ said...

Ouch!!! I can just hear Jessi. Here I thought it was just Mike that got speeding tickets. At least you could say it was a decade since your last one.

Amanda said...

Alisa I just laughed my head off- you are hillarious! So sorry about the ticket. It's always the poor people that don't deserve them that get them- I bet there were 15 other drivers going way faster than you before the cop showed up. At least you can laugh about these things.

Beverly said...

I should mention that I was on my way to a meeting at the school. When I got there another mom got a ticket right after me from the same officer. Then, I was talking to another mom at school the next day and she got one around the same time as us. I'm thinking I was the victim of a speed trap.