Tuesday, May 18, 2010

New York City Trip, Part 2

I was excited to come home. I missed the kids. But now, I miss New York.

One of my favorite places was Ground Zero. There was not a lot to see because the site of the Twin Towers is all fenced in. They are working on the memorial.

This is Freedom Tower. It will be 1776 feet high.


This picture was taken at the 9-11 Museum. It shows what the World Trade Center will look like when reconstruction is complete.
Where the Twin Towers were will be two huge pools/infinity fountains. The other buildings will be built around them.

On Saturday, the annual AIDS walk took place. It was in Central Park and I didn't get a great picture of it, but I could not believe how many people were there. It was really cool seeing that many people out for a cause--I am a sucker for a good political or social protest.

I could have spent an entire day in Harlem--and also in Greenwich Village. Maybe next trip.


We took a water taxi ride out to see the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

The last day of the trip we went to Central Park and then did the observation deck and the Empire State Building. The view was amazing. After visiting Seattle and now the Empire State Building, I want to watch Sleepless in Seattle.

Other fun adventures from our trip:
Seeing Wicked.
Eating in Little Italy.

Shopping--American Girl Store, FAO Schwartz, Anthropologie. We got the kids some fun surprises.
Riding the subway. Maybe it was because I was stuffed up, but I didn't smell urine once.
I am now readjusting to real life. I miss Mike. I got used to spending all day with him. I also got used to walking all day and eating yummy food.
I have now had to reaquaint myself with my vaccum cleaner and broom and washing machine. I am back to homework and carpool and baths and bedtime.
Going on vacation is great, but it's always nice to come home. Home to open spaces and fresh air and occasional quiet. But most of all, it's nice to come home to my rascals.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

WOW!! You were fortunate to see and do so many things in a short time.
Thanks for sharing the pictures. We will enjoy hearing more about it.

Brittany said...

Fun! I would love to go to New York! I assume your children survived without you!

Unknown said...

What a treat. I've never been to NY and I live so close. Love your pictures, they are so beautiful. When are you going to get on facebook? LOL