Monday, March 15, 2010

Jack's Baptism Surprise

Last week Jessi and I went to Disney on Ice. While we were out on the town, Mike took the other three to IFA to see the spring chicks. Then, they went to eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken. (Interesting choice of meals after looking at adorable little baby chickens, if you ask me.)

So, the kids have not stopped talking about them. They would love to have some, and I have given them a number of reasons we cannot have some. But, Aunt Mimi--she has mentioned wanting chickens.

After Jack's baptism Saturday, Mike and Andrew stopped by IFA and got three chicks with all the supplies for Jack (and Mimi.) Randy was not as thrilled as Jack and Mimi were about the new additions to the family.

I asked Jack what he was going to name them, also informing him that they are all girls. The first name he came up with was "Pecker." I don't know if that one stuck or not, but I sure hope it does.
Mike picked out Brahma chickens. They are supposedly good egg-producers and have good temperaments. I don't know about all of that, I just know that they are adorable.

Andrew loves them. He held one before we left. The little thing fell right asleep in his hand. Andrew explained that maybe the chick thought he was her mother.
As we left, my kids discussed how Jack's family is now like the Brady Bunch--three boys and three girls.
I hope they are doing well. I also hope that Randy is not the spiteful type--Christian has a birthday coming up and I can't help but remember that payback, well, she is a really mean lady.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Those little chicks are so incredibly adorable. I remember a story of when I was little I saw a little chick with a hurt leg. My Mom told me I refused to put it down until it was nursed back to health. As much as I'd like to believe that, I'm sure I had to put it down at night or I would have surely squashed it in bed. LOL.

P.S. I lifted the privacy on my blogs. Hope to see you there again.

Doug said...

That is the best post I have seen in a long time. Especially the name. Best name for a chicken...ever. I have been wanting chickens for a while, but have yet to convince Melanie.

CJ said...

You are a hoot. Now I know what Mike and Andrew were doing at IFA after Andrew's game. That was a great game by the way. I guess Ross has to go to all the games now. The chicken name is almost as good as the original name Andrew wanted for a cat.

CJ said...

BTW Don't hens need roosters?

Beverly said...

No roosters needed--they will produce eggs that won't hatch (because they weren't fertilized.) I actually love the idea of having fresh eggs everyday.

Unknown said...

We remember when my sister gave Claudia an adorable baby chick on her 1st birthday. It was a cutie but grew up way too fast in it's cage in the backyard. When it came time to have it for dinner we couldn't even enjoy it.

CJ said...

I just remember chasing the chickens at Grandma Peel's back in Memphis. That was the only time she ever scolded me because then they wouldn't lay eggs. Yes, fresh eggs are the best.

Unknown said...

I was corrected by my hubby. Claudia was given a rabit not a baby chick. Guess a senior moment can be okay since it happened almost 63 years ago.

Unknown said...

Yes, I really know rabbit is the correct spelling.