Friday, March 19, 2010

Extreme Makeover: Craftroom Table Edition

I have been in need of a sturdy craftroom table. I didn't want to spend a lot on it, so I decided that I wanted to paint an old one. A few weeks ago, I stopped at D.I. and found the perfect table. It was the right size and it seemed sturdy. I bought it and Mike picked it up on his way home.


It sat in the garage for a few weeks because it was too cold to paint. I also had to decide on a color.

A few years ago, my friend Brittany introduced me to consignment/second-hand shopping. I have found a few cool things. One thing I found a few months ago was this fabulous organizer. It spoke to me for a number of reasons. First, I am a child of the seventies--I love avocado green. I am pretty sure my parents had avocado appliances. I suppose it wore out it's welcome with folks, but I just love it--maybe small doses is the key. Second, my grandma had something similar hanging in her kitchen. It makes me think of her.

I had a little moment with this organizer. Of course, after I brought it home, I put it in the sink to clean off all germs and dust from the previous owner. While cleaning it, I had a run-in with some old, crusty spiders from the 70's. (I have spider issues I am working though.) So, after some dry heaving and after uttering a few words that I am not proud of, I got that sucker sanitized. It became my inspiration for the table color. It is hanging in the craft room and is very useful.

It took a few minutes everyday for about a week to get it sanded, primed, painted, stained, and varnished. I loved every minute of it. There is something about taking something old and fixing it up. I purposely didn't go out and buy a new table--I love the idea of reusing something that someone else is done with.


I am now on the hunt for more old stuff to paint. I don't live near a D.I., so if we are ever near one I just have to run in and see if there is another diamond-in-the-rough that needs a facelift and a new home.

9 comments:

Smilin' sunshine said...

It looks great!

P H O T O G R A P H Y by Wendy Martin said...

That looks wonderful Alisa. Definitely something to be proud of. I love the color, very cheerful.

CJ said...

Your I love your "new" organizer and table, but the table is scary. The one you bought looks just like our old kitchen table. I know it can't be because it went to the DI over 10 years ago, but it is just plain spooky.

Unknown said...

You did a great job. I like the color too. It brings back memories.

Erika Huff said...

Wow I can learn a lot from crafty sister-in-laws!

Janna said...

Love the color and the letter thingy. If you ever get bore my craft room needs an extreme makeover.

Katie said...

I want to see how it looks in the craft room! More pictures please! It looks great! I love having a project to work on.

Anonymous said...

I love that color! What a great idea. By the way- we were all ready to go to the party yesterday, but Gavyn was feeling really sick after the gym, so we came home and got him in bed. We do have a present to bring over for Christian today.

Julie Jones said...

Alisa that table is so cute! I wish I had even half of your talent!