Thursday, February 4, 2010

Why can't we all just get along?

Andrew and Mike have been playing RISK quite a bit lately. I don't know that I ever played it before tonight. It is a game that takes a good 2+ hours, so we scheduled a match for Thursday night. Round abouts 9 p.m. we got the reminder for our appointment--he had the board set out and was ready to teach me how to play.


I soon realized that I don't very much like the concept of the game--the whole to-win-you-have-to-take-over-the-world thing. Mike says (and I agree) that games like this provide an opportunity to learn to be a good loser (cause when you lose, you lose big,) to learn strategy and to learn a little geography. I chose to use it as an opportunity to teach Andrew a little Political Science lesson--specifically a lesson about allies.



Christian started off as my partner, so we took Asia. Because Asia is green. Once I had spent all of my troops getting Asia for the little guy, he disappeared to play with the cat (I try to get a post in every once in a while without mentioning her, but she's so awesome that it is impossible.)


Mike was looking pretty dangerous at the beginning. Andrew and I made a deal to not fight each other--we agreed to work together and live in peace, side by side. At first I thought I would just capture Asia and then just sit there and protect myself. Not part of the game. No, you must fight. So, only because we had to, Andrew and I slowly took Mike out. He let us, because otherwise we would still be playing.


I don't want to be the Debbie Downer of board games, but I just felt bad playing a game that glorifies oppressive global domination.


(Post edit: I really want to play that evil game again. It's sitting over there by the TV and I want to play it.)

5 comments:

Camille said...

You totally need to get into Super Mario Bros. its completely mindless entertainment and totally fun. No lessons to learn, no Hitler-based undertones or anything, just plain old turn-your-brain-to-mush video game.

Katie said...

I remember playing Risk a ton on the computer in high school in one of my computer classes. It was nice because we didn't have to spend the time setting up the game. Jeremy and I have played it a few times recently as well. We have the Lord of the Rings version so the lessons about geography go out the window but it is still fun to play. Definitely a long game though.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alisa! I saw your comment on Amanda's blog so I had to take a peek at yours. :) Risk! It is an addicting game for sure. Right along with Settlers of Catan.....
I loved your cat comment. :)

Julie Jones said...

I think we will stick with BONANZA! We played again last night with our kids and their significant others. I had to tell James that when we play at Mike's house, it is called Sequins not sequence! lol

THE NORRIS FAMILY said...

It's addicting! I played it occasionally as a teen, but a friend had us over a few weeks ago and we played for five hours straight...called if quits at about 2:30 am. : ) I agree with the world domination thing...but that doesn't change the challenge and fun of the game! : )