Friday, December 11, 2009

making Christmas dreams come true since 1999

Wednesday night was what I like to call our annual "accountability meeting." This is the time when I haul out all of my purchases and show the loot to Mike. I get excited for the magic of Christmas morning--for the fact that I have found the perfect items for our children and other loved ones. I like doing the planning and the wrapping and the hiding. Mike, well, he tolerates the meeting. I tolerate his comments about the consumerism Christmas has become. We discuss how to raise well-adjusted, non-spoiled children. We share our hope that the true meaning of Christmas is not overshadowed by the "stuff."







Guess what I found in one of the bags of gifts? My precious notebook with my precious lists. I had already re-created the list, but it was good to get my notebook back.







A few months ago I heard from my girlfriends about the Zhu Zhu craze (they are battery-operated hamsters.) Then the kids saw the commercial. Mike works near a Toys R Us (the place I lovingly refer to Heck on Earth.) He found out when they got their shipments and then back in October, went and stood in line. He scored two of the little hamsters and their accessories. I thought it was really sexy of him to go stand in that line for those hamsters for my babies.







I want to tell myself that I don't like the craziness of the hard-to-find toy, but I have to admit, I kind of like the hunt. I actually did my first ebay bids this year and, I must admit, got quite a thrill from the experience.







Back to the story. So, after going through the gifts, I stayed up and did the wrapping. I have a very specific method to my madness. Each kid gets a special wrapping paper. Then there is a separate wrapping paper for the gifts from the big guy. This paper has to be hidden and then removed from the premises in order to keep the "magic" alive. The gift tags from the big guy are typed. Then I bag it all up and hide it in the basement.







I have to do a good job at the hiding because I have very snoopy kids. They come by it rightly--I was a total snoop. My sisters and I did a lot of snooping and a little finding. My parents got smart and started hiding Christmas gifts in the caskets. (I grew up living in a funeral home--another story for another day.) Christian has already found a few things. He saw the big horse I bought him. I pulled out a trick I learned from my mom. I told him it was for the poor kids that live down the street and not for him.





While wrapping, I watched a recorded Letterman. I like him. I don't like that he might be a scumbag, but I think he is oh so funny. So, I am listening while wrapping and you can imagine my excitement when this came on.




Crazy cat ladies do exist, and apparently they make DVDs.

3 comments:

CJ said...

Yes. Finding the "perfect" gift is so much fun. Thank you for everything you do, especially this year. You will never know how much you are appreciated. I agree. Many a Christmas eve was spent wrapping presents while Ross decorated the tree. The hard part is hiding the bounty prior to wrapping.

Unknown said...

We had good hiding places but still not sure just what the girls found. Maybe we never will.
Christmas was always so much fun when they were growing up. Most of their gifts were ones we made.
You always do a wonderful job getting ready for Christmas!!

Brittany said...

Have you ever put cream inside your cupcakes? (no pun intended, I had to clarify for Mike's sake) My client was trying to tell me about it but I just didn't understand! It sounds delish! Anywho, are our hamsters toxin? I heard somebody talking about it at the store. And lastly, your Christmas cards are beautiful!!