Tuesday, February 15, 2011

reading routine

This is what it looks like around here before bed:

Usually Bev and Andrew read in bed, but sometimes I like us all to be together so we meet in the family room.

Mike and I trade turns listening to Christian and Jessi read. I am also trying to listen to the older two. I only succeed every once in a while.

Starting in January Jessi got to start bringing reading books home. This was a major accomplishment. It is not the easiest thing for her, but she is really enjoying reading.
Christian is not so enthusiastic about reading. He reads well, but doesn't love it. We're working on that.
I have to make this kid stop reading. One night last week I tucked him in and told him he could read for 10 minutes more. I stayed up late and did some laundry and when I took his laundry to his room at 1:00 a.m. he was still reading. He just finished Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites.
Bev (and I) love the American Girl series. They are fast-reads for her, but they are her favorites. Every time she finishes a series she has lots to share with us about that time in history. She will often come and find me to read me a section of the book that is particularly good.
I go through phases with reading. I have three books I am kind of reading right now. Mike only reads occasionally--and it has to be a really good book if he's going to read it.

I love reading to the kids. As they get older it is harder to find time to get everything done and still have story time. When Andrew and Bev were little I was religious about storytime. We would cuddle in my bed and read several books and then sing Primary songs. Jessica and Christian don't get it every night--I need to do better with that.

4 comments:

CJ said...

These pictures brought back many memories. I think Christian got his reading tendencies from his dad -- reads terrifically but only what he wants to read.

Unknown said...

We have always loved to read and passed it on to our girls who still love to.
Glad our great grandchildren are being taught how enjoyable it is.
I am sure Christian will catch on to how great it is at some point.

Rob said...

I hear ya! Caleb was the story-time Champion but my other kids have suffered a bit. They all love to read with me but they also do not get the one on one time like they should. Do not worry about Christian, Caleb is a great reader but he only get into when playing does not seem more fun. He loves Magic Treehouse books, and it is so fun to hear him read them. How is your new nephew, Henry? Jack did not seem to thrilled on the name choice. :) _Diedre

THE NORRIS FAMILY said...

I love that you took pictures of the kids reading! I need to do that. We are all read-aholics in our house. My 6 yr old devours the american girl books! It's amazing to me how even the older kids love being read to, snuggling up with mom and reading, and staying up way toooooo late with a good book and a flashlight!