Thursday, July 17, 2008

Liberia, One Year Ago

I've been thinking a lot about our trip to Liberia last year. Going to Africa was an amazing experience. It was very positive in that we were finally able to bring Jessica home. It was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to really see where Jessica came from. It was also a really difficult trip. The first two days in Liberia I cried everytime we went out. I had an idea what it was going to be like, but actually seeing it was really hard. We also saw first-hand the corruption that exsists there. It is a war-ravaged country where people do what they must to survive. The problems in Liberia are very complex and frustrating.

When we arrived in Liberia last year to pick up Jessica, our luggage didn't. Although I knew we were in Africa and that it is third world, I still had this crazy idea that we could somehow find a Walmart or something like that. Um, not. Apparently there are a few "higher end" stores there, but nowhere near where we were. So, we did some shopping at the open market. We found some new underwear, me a rayon jumper dress (needed for our embassy appointment,) and Jessica some shoes and a dress.
People get items from donated humanitarian shipments and sell them at the market.

Finally, the third day there we were able to go to the orphanage to pick her up. When we arrived, she was on her nanny's lap on the porch getting her hair done. We got out of the car and walked to the porch. They told her we were her Momma and Papa. She came to me and put her head on my shoulder.

Jessica with her nannies.

From the porch, a view of the clothesline at the orphanage.


When we got in the car, she held her book (now called her Africa Book.) This is the book I made her about us. She had it for several months while in the orphanage. It was her only possession, and she was very attached to it. She still is.

After picking her up from the orphanage, we went with some other adoptive families to the beach. It was so beautiful.



At the guest house.

After finally getting on the airplane in Liberia (a long story for another day) and landing in Ghana, we were able to find our luggage and change our clothes.

After arriving home we went to Fish Lake for the annual trip. I just love this picture of her.

We plan to return to Liberia someday. I know that it will be important for Jessica to go back. I am trying to find some ways to stay involved in humanitarian efforts there. (It's really tough to find an agency that is trustworthy.) I also have the goal to make Jessica's lifebook this summer. (Like a scrapbook, but about her adoption.)

5 comments:

Smilin' sunshine said...

She is just so cute!! I can't believe it has been a year. I also can't believe they lost your luggage.

Can anyone give me an update on Camille? I called her last night, but didn't get an answer. How is she doing?

CJ said...

I remember watching the home movie you made while you were in Liberia and how heart wrenching it was to see how the people had to live, but also to see the smiles on everyone's faces. I do hope you have an opportunity to return. I have been so impressed at how well she has fit into our family and how wonderful her brothers and sister are to her.

Julie Jones said...

Alisa, you are such an amazing woman. Just the adoption process alone would have driven me insane! She is such a sweet little addition to your family.

Brittany said...

I bet it was a very humbling experience. Just to listen to you and see the pictures it is humbling for me. Jessica is very lucky to have you. And I also think you are very lucky to have her.

Unknown said...

Alisa,
You and Mike are such an inspiration. You couldn't possibly imagine how you have transformed this little life. My husband just got back from Africa and he tells me stories of poverty and the children on the streets. The stories are sad but true. It's amazing what God does to bring us together. Keep up your great attitude.

Wendy Martin
http://casa-de-martin.blogspot.com