Thursday, July 8, 2010

Catching up, part 1

I have a lot of catching up to do. I mean with all the sleeping-in and swimming and movie-watching I just haven't had the time.

I thought I would start with the completed laundry room project.

We finished it on June 21st. It was, of course, more work than we anticipated before we began, but I am SO happy with the results.


We built the cabinet, added facing and beadboard, moved a plug and then I painted it ivory to match the cabinets above the washer and dryer. We installed the metal baskets that pull out. I have come to terms with the fact that as much as I like closed storage, open is much more functional for us. It's not quite as pretty, but if we can all see where stuff is and where it goes, things tend to get put away better.


I made basket liners for the two laundry baskets--blue to match the new blue walls.


This is what it looks like with our stuff inside. There are bins for karate stuff, swimming stuff, beach towels, soccer stuff, dry cleaning and bags. There is even an empty one.


The brown canvas bins on top hold stuff we don't use as often and out-of-season stuff. Then I will rotate out the summer stuff for the winter stuff in the metal baskets.

We also designed it with a rod because I hang clothes up after getting them out of the dryer.

We made each person a shoe shelf. It holds two deep. The baskets are for sorting laundry.

We have lived with it for a few weeks now and I LOVE it. It was worth the wait--my laundry room has never been more organized.

I will not be starting any more projects. Kids are home for just a few weeks before school starts and I want to enjoy time with them.

6 comments:

mel said...

Love it! What a good idea. I can't wait to see it in person.

Anonymous said...

This is so great! I love it. Makes me wish we would have designed our laundry room like that! Hmmm...maybe I can still use some of the ideas on our bench area? Very organized!

Julie Jones said...

You guys are amazing! Are you for hire?

CJ said...

Talk about organized and looks great too. Can't beat that combination. It tooks terrific.

Unknown said...

It's a wonderful project. You and Mike make a good team.

P H O T O G R A P H Y by Wendy Martin said...

Alisa, that looks absolutely amazing. I am so jealous. Looks like something out of Pottery Barn. I know where I can use one of those too. Can you send Mike over?

Wendy